Examining Board – AQA
We are extremely pleased to offer you a brand new course to Rainford- combined English Language and Literature! So, if you are unsure about which English option to select, or if your choice of subjects for A level is too broad to allow both English options as separate subjects, this is the one for you!
Methods of Study
As the name suggests, students on this course will study both areas of English – language as well as literature. As with the other two courses on offer, students who choose this option would have nine lessons per fortnight with two English specialists. The AS course is an opportunity to study two texts, prescribed by the exam board; you will also work with an anthology of literary work. The course is assessed by coursework and an examination. At A2 students will study a play; the emphasis in this unit is on spoken language.
Methods of Assessment
AS English Language and Literature
- The examination:a ninety minute examination – 60% of AS or 30% of A level.
- Students will answer two essay style questions, based on the anthology for AS.
- Coursework:40% of AS or 20% of A level.
- Here students will study a pair of texts and write a discussion of those texts. They will also produce a piece of creative writing, based on the texts.
A2 English Language and Literature
- The examination:30% of A level
- Here students will answer a question about the use of speech in the play that they have studied, as well as comparing the use of speech in two other texts.
- The coursework:– 20% of A level
- Here students will have the opportunity to transform texts and to write a commentary where they explain how and why the transformation took place. Texts for transformation can be poetry, prose or drama texts.
Ideally we would prefer students to have achieved at least a grade B in the subject at GCSE.